In 2018, more than $5 billion was invested in U.S. smart homes, and about 15% of homes in the nation are using smart technology, according to Statista’s Digital Market Outlook.
The U.S. smart home market was forecast to top $27 billion in 2019.1
With this kind of growth, the benefits of home automation systems cannot be ignored, especially when it comes to security.
What Are Automated Home Security Systems?
Automated home security systems represent the future of connected homes. Once an automated security system is installed, you can program it, monitor your home from anywhere, and control the system remotely via a smart app. You can even link your security system to personal assistants such as Amazon Alexa, depending on the product. From watching video feeds of your front door to controlling lights and thermostats from a smartphone, to unlocking the door for guests from the office or while on the road, you have complete control over home security.
Security automation enables you to configure your security system any way you please. It lets you monitor every aspect of your home and detect and deter crime when it happens. The system can be controlled via an in-home dashboard or your smartphone.
But it’s not only about deterring crime; home fires are typically on the rise this time of year. Connect your Christmas lights, fireplace, and more to avoid situations like one of the 7,000 residential building fires in 2017 resulting in injuries, or the estimated 1,900 fires that resulted in fatalities (based on U.S. Fire Administration estimates).2
Features of a Home Automation Security System
Smart technology enhances home security because alarms, motion sensors, and control panels can all be connected. It consists of several more components than a standard security system, which incorporates an alarm, control panel, and yard signs. Some of the most important features are:
- Smart Apps: Smartphone apps allow for full control of and access to the system. With an app, you can access a Wi-Fi-connected camera and receive notifications from it. Video feeds can be accessed on demand while you can notify law enforcement or other agencies of a problem. You can even speak over the intercom or lock/unlock the door for invited guests.
- Energy Management: The ability to control your home thermostat or shut the lights off from your smartphone can save energy. If the kids are home by themselves, watch video feeds and send a text to remind them to close the window curtains. Sometimes, sunshine warms your home, but you don’t want to stress your cooling system with excess heat. Manage your entire HVAC system, appliances, and electrical meters from anywhere.
- Smart Locks: These electromechanical devices provide some of the greatest benefits of home automation technology. Locked and unlocked remotely, they help monitor who enters and leaves your home and let you grant or deny access remotely. Control the lock with your smartphone or wireless key fob, or use email or SMS to send a virtual key and set a time frame during which someone can unlock the door. Even interconnect locks with security alarms and cameras, and never worry about losing your keys!
- Smart Video: Modern Wi-Fi enabled cameras allow you to control them and view video feeds from anywhere. Smart video can be used indoors and outdoors, day and night, depending on the model. Some cameras feature motion or sound detection, so they record only when necessary (and send alerts when triggered), but some record continuously, conveniently uploading feeds to the cloud. Features to consider include video resolution, color or black-and-white video, wired or wireless systems, and field of vision.
Advantages of Smart Home Security Systems
The benefits of home automation technology are far-reaching. Some of the most significant home automation benefits you can see by upgrading to a smart security system include:
- Safety: Home automation systems keep your family and home safe through control of lighting and appliances. If you forgot to turn something off, just do it with your smartphone. Or, turn the lights on before you get home at night.
- Security: View the status of the front door to verify it is closed and locked. Security alerts notify you when someone enters your home; or, turn on the lights before you get there to make sure nothing is hiding in the darkness.
- Convenience: A smartphone is something you have whenever you leave the house. Why not monitor everything from your connected device? Many tasks become automatic, so you don’t have to run home or even get up off the couch to set smart locks or turn on the lights.
- Saves Time: Life today is very fast-paced. Time savings is one of the advantages of smart security for your home you can’t ignore. There’s no need to run home to check on things or if one of the kids forgot to close the door; just check it all from your phone.
- Saves Money: Turning lights on/off or even dimming them remotely can save a bit of money, as can controlling window shades and adjusting automated thermostats. You also save on gas by not having to drive back home to check on what you forgot to turn off.
- Energy Efficiency: Program appliances and systems to turn off or control them remotely. Some home automation systems provide continuous monitoring and notify you on their status and energy usage; if your home is warmer than necessary or extra lighting isn’t needed, make the appropriate adjustments to save energy.
- Comfort: One of the most understated advantages of home automation is comfort; you can control adaptive lighting, sound, and temperature as well as play music. Even record shows on your DVR by setting it remotely. Automation allows you to control all aspects of the home environment.
- Peace of Mind: Check on young children, or even baby monitors, or view the status of your appliances, window shades, or the garage door. Verify anything on your app without worrying about whether you remembered to close doors or turn everything off before you left.
Boyd & Associates specializes in a variety of systems and services to improve home security and automation. Customers in Southern California depend on us for quality:
Contact Boyd & Associates
We have been providing full security and alarm services in Los Angeles County, Orange County, Ventura County, and Riverside County since 1967. Our business has specialized in advanced surveillance systems since the 1990s and has been at the forefront of home security automation. Today, we offer state-of-the-art products installed and serviced by trained professionals. To learn more and enjoy the advantages of home automation, plus the security and other benefits it has, call our sales team at 888-478-1543 or request a quote online today.